View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 01:49 AM   #2
Michele

Default Re: How do you name things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
I'm no linguist...

Anyway, floor's open. What are y'all's tips and tricks for coming up with good names for all the characters, places, and miscellaneous other things in a campaign?
Well, I'm no linguist either, but languages are my bread and butter, and I have to say you seem truly interested in them.

That said, I'll add that I enjoyed your post and your suggestions, but I cannot provide much of a contribution. My games take place either on our own Earth, or on some Alternate Earths where the cultures (and languages) are still pretty recognizable. In addition to that, we've played for a long time on Yrth, where, once again, most human civilizations have a recognizable counterpart here. We followed Tolkienan customs as to Elven and Dwarven names.

I did make up one thing, a sort of standard for Orcish names. A prevalence of guttural and plosive consonants, the exclusion of fricatives (unless you consider the aspirated [h] as such), a preference for voiceless consonants, and a preference, as to vowels, for u and i. A famous tribal leader was named Hurkutk.