View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #55
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Collaborative Worldbuilding Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Combining that with a cross-dimensional setting would mean either a) a mobile city that transports itself between different dimensions (using its own mechanism or moving between external gates), or b) the place-of-marvelous-geography is a nexus of cross-dimensional travel (like Cynosure or Sigil). These could also be interesting, but might draw focus away from thinking about the geographic aspect.
There is no need to center it all on a single city. I was thinking that each world could have its own geographic gimic. It would help make each world memorable and unique from the others.

The travel mechanism doesn't need to be terribly accessible to the common citizen. In some ways this type of fiction is strengthened by a filter of some sort that makes travel between the worlds hard.

We could also make the geographic gimic interact heavily with the cross-dimensional aspect, which could bring the focus back on the gimic.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote