View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 06:58 AM   #28
PK

Default Re: Converting "Problematic" Spells to Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork_Virus View Post
Hey, all. Long-time lurker here, made an account so I could ask for some advice.

I'm trying to convert some spells from GURPS: Magic to use within the Sorcery framework (Magic as Powers). It's fairly straightforward for most spells, but I'm having difficulty with others. I'm trying to keep relative point costs and effects as consistent as possible.
If you're using sorcery, I'd strongly recommend picking up the recent GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, as it answers many of these questions.

Quote:
Healing - buying it as the Healing advantage is very expensive compared to it's cost in Magic.
See Minor Healing in Sorcery for one take on this.

Quote:
Flash - how do I model the "absolute" -3 to DX? IIRC, "unresistable" Afflictions are not allowed by RAW.
Don't get hung up in trying to convert over the exact game-mechanical effects. Convert the feel of the spell and what it's supposed to do -- by which I mean, how a person in the setting would describe the spell.

The simplest way to convert Flash is an Affliction that gives -3 to DX and has Secondary Disadvantage, Blindness. That way anyone who fails their HT roll is at -3 DX, who fails by 5+ is fully blinded.

Quote:
Recover Energy - buying a similar level of Regeneration (Fatigue Only) is far too expensive. Is there any other way?
Skip this one. The whole reason Recover Energy exists is that GURPS Magic is a fatigue-based system. Sorcery isn't. Sorcerous spells are dirt cheap in terms of energy cost (heck, they're free if you use Alternative Rituals and aren't hiding) and thus don't need a mechanism for rapidly recovering energy.

Quote:
Missile Shield - it makes the subject immune to most missile attacks (Physical, Ranged), and it's a passive effect, so Enhanced Defenses wouldn't be appropriate.
Sorcery includes a Reverse Missiles spell. Missile Shield is just that minus Reflection.

Quote:
Suspend Time and Time Out - I have no idea where to begin.
Suspend Time is in Sorcery. Time Out is trickier; frankly, the fairest way to do it is a Temporal Stasis Affliction that affects the rest of the universe. Expensive as heck, but that's because it's an insanely powerful spell.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote