View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 06:53 AM   #4
whswhs

Default Re: Magery as an improvable advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
I'm generally of the opinion that a PC should be able to improve almost anything, because it's more fun to advance your character without being hamstrung by "realism"--after all, it's fantasy, right?
Well, in one sense of fantasy, the one that means roughly "wish fulfillment." I don't think that's the same as the sense that refers to a genre of literature, visual art, or gaming. My own preference is for fantasy to have constraints that are just as stringent as those of the real world, but not in the same way.

But that's my own preference; it's not some sort of law.

I think that GURPS can certainly accommodate improvement in Magery. It's purely a question of whether that fits the GM's vision of how the game world works.

Checking GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School, I see that it says that adding levels of Magery, if you start out with Magery 0, is at the GM's option, and suggests a mechanism for doing so: point conversion (buying up Magery and simultaneously buying down multiple spells so that the net spell casting ability in those spells remains the same). There's also the cinematic option of buying up a Talent or power Talent: Magery 1 or above is effectively a Talent.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote