View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 03:30 AM   #16
Edris

Default Re: Rocket Artillery (TL 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
According to Medieval Total War 2, the Chinese had lots of rockets connected to a frame, with the fuses timed so that if you light the master fuse, the rockets will go off at more or less the same time. Or the whole thing explodes.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, TL4 rockets according to Low-Tech are unguided, meaning they function as Wild Swings. They get -5 to hit and can have a max skill of 9. They also get a bonus to hit since they have a RoF of more than 1. Can that bonus raise the skill above 9? It seems a little strange that I can fire 300 rockets at someone 2 yards away and have a less than even probability to hit.

Note: I don't really care about whether the Chinese had such a weapon. This is a question of rules and awesomeness.

ETA: Corrected the details according to Varyon.

Use Scatter rules, probably also using Attacking an Area rules too (Which is conveniently next to scatter) on Basic:Characters P.414. The attack is off by a margin based off of the roll, in random directions. Take special care to note that by default you're not using the artillery skill for the Chinese rocket set detailed in Low-Tech. Chances are something will hit him (And the rocket team) with 300 rockets due to of explosive splash with scatter, not to even mention the shrapnel involved (Basic:Characters P.414-415). Shrapnel rules will also shred the man (And the rocket team); literally death by a thousand cuts if you roll well, fittingly enough.

However, simulating it and rolling for everything would be tiresome at best. I'd rule that the dude is gone, except on a critical failure, for simplicity's sake.

As per attacking an area, there's Spraying fire and Suppression Fire rules on Basic-Characters P.409 that detail how to hit multiple hexes. These combined with Scatter, Attacking an Area, and Shrapnel give a very detailed (And lengthy..) exposition of how such an attack will go down.

It's not exactly convenient in terms of speed, but the rules are there.

Last edited by Edris; 07-30-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Edris is offline   Reply With Quote