View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #29
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: One on One simulation

In TFT plate is plate. But in reality it was a huge difference between a breast plate and helmet, conquistador style, medieval knight plate and late medieval footman's full plate. I think we are comparing different versions of plate at different times and so have a hard time agreeing.

But in order to change the balance these questions must be asked:

Can we find other things, like weight and MA penalties, perception penalties, built in fatigue loss, reaction roll penalties, swim penalties, skill use penalties, etc. to make up for the current DX penalty? And in doing so keeping it as extremely well balanced as it is now?

Or do we think that it is more important to see realism shining through and everyone should be wearing as much armor as they can afford?

And should heavy armor be an advantage at all times in a melee or adventure situation?

I for one like the balance as it is, it is exceptional. Maybe a slight tweak here and there to make it even more balanced without losing the feel of difference between different builds.

I don't care much about realism as long as I as a GM can portray a world that looks like I think it should. I want my NPC knights to wear heavy armor because they are rich and care more about survival on the battle field than speed and mobility. And I want my musketeers or barbarians to laugh at armor and do well without it by other means. And I want there to be a use for both expensive heavy infantry and cheaper and more mobile light infantry. And as long as I can come up with somewhat reasonable arguments for them to look right, and those builds not being impotent, I am ok with it. And the rich plate guys can always buy fine versions of their armor and then it will be a clear advantage sim wise.
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote