View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
DataPacRat

Default Re: [Spaceships] Magnetic Shielding above TL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
You need GeV intensities to shield against cosmic radiation and TeV intensities to shield against charged particle beams, so it is not happening outside of super science. It would not protect against EM radiation, neutron radiation, or neutral particle beams, by the way, nor against kinetic energy projectiles.
What I'm actually aiming to protect against are the charged particles that result when a STL craft impacts interstellar atoms at >0.01c. Anything else that gets protected against is gravy.

(About the only non-superscience way I know of to protect against gamma-ray-level EM radiation are to use a high-atomic-weight material, thick enough to absorb secondary impacts; and I haven't been able to make that work with my mass budget. So for this sub-problem, I'm using massively-redundant, fault-tolerant, radiation-hardened computers.)

I've just found a potentially-useful reference; in Ultra-Tech, there's a line that force-fields give an rPF equal to their DR. So an Energy-only screen, which I drop down to TL10, could offer in the neighbourhood of rPF 200 for 25 lbs and $12,500; maybe drop that down to 150 for the TL decrease. Or maybe apply that to Spaceships' force screens.

I'm still open to any other ideas, of course.
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote