Thread: Armor up!
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2023, 07:12 PM   #17
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: Armor up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Whataboutism making the to-hit roll by four points more than needed or such?
Sure, that can work as well -- although that adds a mechanic not really done that often in the core Legacy rules, even if it is hinted at a few times. The point of this change is something that is fairly minimal.

I actually haven't run a full-fledged campaign under LEGACY rules yet, just individual adventures or short sessions. If I were to run a long campaign, I would change the TFT rules a lot more radically to suit my personal tastes, including adopting some of your own variant suggestions. I would also:

* Halve all MA to fix both "run off the map" issues (and improve realism, but that's secondary).
* Add a defense roll at (DX/2)+3 (penalized if attacked from side, rear, or prone). (I started doing this in my GURPS fantasy games in 1987 and eventually - around 2003 -- got it built into the GURPS 4e core rules...)
* Add over a dozen spells I've devised for my own campaign.
* Replace the LEGACY xp system, also removing the ability to buy talents/skills/etc. separately with XP, but granting IQ-based talents/spells/languages equal to (IQ-5) x 2, with extras gained at that ratio when IQ is improved.
All were things I successfully used in games run between 1983 and 1995 when I was ran a bunch of variant TFT, and still have lots of material for.