View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #24
Anaraxes

Default Re: Are Powers Overpriced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvercatMoonpaw View Post
I've actually been wondering about ways to tinker with the FP cost to drive down the price
There are a number of past forum threads about changing the value of Costs FP, usually to increase it. PK's house rules are as good a place to start as any. My own philosophical preference is to scale the value, as the first point or two of Costs FP have much more effect than later ones, with diminishing negative returns.

I think that the biggest difficulty in getting really close to the standard magic system is that there's pretty much no way to get down to 1 point/spell. The -80% floor is one reason, but even then, the math doesn't work that way. I can recall beating down the price of spells with Fantasy HERO to a few points, but that's much harder with GURPS. (That might even be the correct result!) Hence the popularity of MA and AA in magic systems where mages are supposed to wield a wide and flexible array of different spells.

Multiplicative Modifiers will get you closer. That scheme usually makes the expensive powers cheaper (going back in part to the previously-mentioned asymmetry between large +Enhancement values with fewer, smaller -Limitation values).
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote