View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #30
larsdangly

Default Re: Return of the MNSH (Murderous Ninja Sniper Halfling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
I'm very sad to say, I have been doing a lot of gaming battles out with different MNSHs. I don't actually roll the attacks and damage, just the manoeuvring before the attacks. For simplicity give the non-shrewd 32pt MNSH and Javelin the same MA=12 and put them at opposite ends of the Melee map. (I assert) with best choice play, the javelin will have to suffer one barrage from a range of 2 hexes while dodging. This was surprising, for me.

The turn after J can do his charge attack. I'm sure you're right that if J is wearing cloth he is a big favorite against non-shrewd 32pt MNSH. If J is unarmoured it will be close, as unarmoured J quite likely to be down to 3 ST or less before he attacks.

But to add, for me the point is not that a non-shrewd 32pt MNSH can be defeated by figures who can attack before the MNSH can. It is that these MNSHs are capable of generating damage that is completely out of proportion. If you want to stick with non-shrewd MNSHs then the out of proportion damage is indeed limited to unarmoured figures. If you allow Shrewd MNSHs then there is another kind of abomination, again out of all proportion. And to be extra clear, to rule these out of existence makes the world a little better, but for me as I argue above, it is houseruling out of existence (not that that matters much).
I don't understand how this can be since you can't throw a weapon after moving more than 2 on that same turn. So if we start disengaged, I either get initiative and move some large distance from you or I reach you with my pole weapon charge, and if you get initiative you either move a little closer to me and prepare to throw or move some large distance and don't. It seems inevitable that if you don't elect to engage me I can always move more than 2 hexes from you. Actually the really hard thing will be for you to avoid being engaged by a charge, at which point it is too late for you (as a charging pole weapon strikes before all other actions, as per RAW)
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote