View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #10
Anthony

Default Re: Hard Sources for Space Warfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
It sounds as if you have just said that a space-traveling civilization has NO resources, whereas ak_aramis said that a space-traveling civilization has such unlimited resources that there's no point in fighting over anything. I don't see how both can be true. But perhaps I've failed to parse your sentence correctly; I'm not at all sure that I know what it's supposed to say. Can you restate?
I may have been making a different point. The basic problem is that the cost of transporting things from one solar system to another is so high that it's almost always more efficient to produce them locally; there's not that much room for even interstellar trade (other than in information) let alone capturing resources to bring back. You could still get warfare in the form of "I wish to conquer your stellar system" or more accurately "I wish to colonize your stellar system and you aren't strong enough to stop me", because doing it practically likely means a power mismatch on the scale of a Kardashev II civilization against the modern Earth.