View Single Post
Old 12-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #29
Shostak

Default Re: Mundane Talents and Backgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
And it seems natural to me that the higher costs are for talents that take more to get a useful level of skill. As ITL says, Mundane talents are also available at Master level for 3 points. So yes, there can be a lot to Farming, but 1 point in Farming is also very useful - for doing much of the basic work of farming, and knowing things about it.

Artist/Calligrapher costs 3 points because it represents a high degree of ability.
Then all Mundane Talents should be one point for the basic level, two for better, and three for master level, to allow for mediocre Calligraphers and Master Farmers. But again, the question is why bother if there isn't some kind of real payoff for the investment? You can put three points into Master Guitarist, but it doesn't actually give you anything nearly as useful as two points in Bard (which, admittedly, requires a modestly higher IQ).

Quote:
Well, I see games worlds like places you can visit or be a part of through roleplaying, and I want them to behave as makes sense, and if the players or GM can find logical ways that non-adventuring talents become relevant or interesting, or if that leads to play being something worth telling a story about later, then I see that as a nice bonus, but NOT something I'd want the GM to intentionally go out of the way of logic to artificially set up.
I wouldn't want the GM to go so far out of the way as to suspend the logic of the game, either. But, if I spent three precious points on Artist, I'd be more than a little disappointed if the GM made minimal attempt to have it be relevant in the adventures, just as I would if I spent points on Remove Traps and never found opportunity to utilize the talent.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote