View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 06:06 AM   #16
Emerikol

Default Re: Sensible negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
That seems pretty excessive, honestly. This is one of those cases where the GM steps in and says "OK, I know the rules say he now hates you and has sworn an oath of vengeance upon you unto the seventh generation and all that, but seriously, all you did was ask for a lot more money than that doodad is worth. He just laughs at you and says you can give him a serious offer or leave the store - he's got a business to run." If the PC's immediately counter with something more feasible, I'd probably just treat things as a fresh reaction (probably with a negative modifier on account of their comically-blatant attempt to swindle him).
I agree with this...I think these reactions are for potentially hostile situations. A merchant if influential may decide to do you a wrong turn if given the opportunity but I don't expect him to attack. In fact in modern society, outside of situations where hostilities are expected, I'd almost never expect him to attack unless he has some mental disability.

Here is perhaps things more genericized
0 - Disastrous - Hate - The NPC is angered by the PC and would do him harm if an opportunity exists even at some expense. Depending on the society and the nature of the NPC as it relates to combat ability this might cause fighting to break out.

1 to 3 - Very Bad - Convenient Hate - The NPC is angered by the PC and will do him harm any time an convenient opportunity presents itself. Won't go to great expense though.

4 to 6 - Bad - Opportunity - The NPC cares nothing for the PC and if an profitable opportunity presented itself that would negatively affect the PC, the NPC will seize it no problem.

7 to 9 - Poor - Unimpressed - The NPC is not motivated to harm the PC but would have no regrets if offered a golden opportunity to profit at the PCs expense.

10 to 12 - Nuetral - Uninterested - The NPC just isn't moved one way or the other by the PC.

13 to 15 - Good - Likes - The NPC likes the PC and if the cost is not too high he will help the PC

16 to 18 - Very Good - Thinks Highly - The NPC thinks highly of the PC and will go to some trouble including incurring expense to help the PC.

19+ - Excellent - High Respect / Love - The NPC will act in the best interests of the PC even at great cost to himself. That doesn't mean he will die for the PC. But he will take risks he wouldn't normally take to help the PC out.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote