View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
weevis

Default Re: [RPM + Psionics] Sanity check: Mixing Magic Systems?

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check it out and report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
go Effect-Shaping for the base RPM system. It jives better with psionic powers as both rely on skill to do things and both have techniques that you can buy
This comment that you made struck me -- I admit I have been thinking about things the opposite way. I've been thinking that I want the two magic systems to be as mechanically different as possible, otherwise why bother to include two systems?

As a hypothetical example, I feel like I could possibly stat absolutely everything I want to do forever for the rest of my life using only GURPS Powers. But I'd never have to buy or read another GURPS book again, so where's the fun in that? So I thought the contrasting mechanisms would be fun and in fact finding contrasting mechanisms was my goal.

Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way and I should instead try to make the two as mechanically similar as possible, as you suggest, for ease of gameplay. As I said, I've never tried to GM a campaign with multiple magic systems.

My major concern when I thought to post was actually just how to be sure one type of magic didn't completely outclass the other. I figured it would be better if they worked differently, not a drawback. I will look at the article and think about this.
weevis is offline   Reply With Quote