View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 02:31 AM   #12
Vodrilus

Default Re: Giving mental disadvantages as results of behaviour?

Thanks for the input, guys. :) I think McAllister hit the nail on the head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Essentially, we don't know how to help you accomplish your goals because we don't know what they are.
The question of my goals is in some sense pertinent. The main goal in my campaing is naturally fun/engagement for the whole group. This doesn't really have much to do with the disad question. I'm merely entertaining it as a "maybe fun sometimes" thing, perhaps to emulate a kind of Aristotelian virtue system ("We are what we repeatedly do."). I'm a sucker for personal development, and this also naturally translates to my role-playing style. Are our actual choices limited by the actions that we have performed before? The question I asked is therefore quite theoretical, and perhaps vague. This might have application with other disads such as Charitable (perhaps through very intense role-playing of getting to know the suffering of others), Cowardice (constantly running from any danger, however trivial), Overconfidence (constantly taking on any challenge, and miraculously succeeding) or even Sadism (through finding that the PC actually likes inflicting pain).

I'll try to make myself clear: I'm not going to force the player to take this disad. That would break the implicit contract of trust between me and the players, since we have already established a kind of player autonomy when it comes to the PC's (though I actually crafted them in the first place for a one-off adventure... the perils of becoming the go-to guy.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
That said, I'd offer the player the opportunity to take Bloodlust, and give them the points for it based on their control number.
That might work even in this campaign, yes. But knowing my players, I would be slightly worried about this idealistic mechanic turning into a point generator. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think you should hand out disads that either indicate a chosen ethical standard or involve a loss of self-control, especially as there are experience point penalties for not roleplaying the disad. Players can choose to give up control of their characters' actions, or lose it to an attack such as Mind Control (Conditioning) or to a Fright Check, but GM fiat will be resented. (SNIP!)
Social traits gained through action are a must, yes. And the point about experience is partially valid, too. B121 states that the GM may penalize the player for bad roleplaying (ie. attempting self-control rolls too often) by awarding less points. Like many rules, it's optional, and in this case, wouldn't be consistent.
Vodrilus is offline   Reply With Quote