View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #23
Varyon

Default Re: Combo Suggestions for point starved Witch wanting to be effective in melee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymathee View Post
Most foes, unless they're utterly fearless and/or so highly capable/highly powered that they can withstand bullet fire, are going to hesitate when confronted with a gun being pointed at them.
A campaign where even the noncombatant PC's are routinely outnumbered but are expected to fight their way through (such as the one OP appears to be in) is unlikely to adhere to this sort of realism. In a high-realism campaign, of course, a firearm may well prevent combat from ever starting, as potential foes decide you aren't worth the risk. This can happen to a certain extent with any weapon (depending on setting, some weapons are better than others - in modern US, an axe or large knife may make people keep their distance for fear you're a bit unhinged, while in a medieval-inspired setting a sword may be more effective, as carrying such marks you as someone who actually knows how to fight), of course.

Quote:
Ideally, I'd imagine it'd be most desirable to perform headshots against zombies as a lot of fiction says that enough damage to the undead brain will take them out. You could just take more easier shots if you lack the skill, enough damage could make their rotting bodies collapse... or just blow them apart in close range with a shot gun.
Depending on what rules you're using, arguably the most bang for your buck against a zombie would be a shot to the Abdomen or Pelvis. The first is -1 and has a chance to hit the second, which is at -3. A hit to the Pelvis can cripple both legs simultaneously, giving you more time to either get away or line up that headshot (plus, with the zombie crawling prone, you can shoot at the Skull at only -5 for targeting from behind).

Quote:
Of course, I don't know MH well, and I know GURPS's guns mechanics even less, but I'm simply speaking from experience with playing survival horror games. Particularly Resident Evil 4, my favorite.
I've only played Resident Evil 3 (and that on the original Playstation release), and only some of that (not really my genre of game, honestly) but an important aspect there was that you had fairly limited ammunition and headshots were pretty easy to do (it was third person with a more-or-less fixed camera, so you just aim "up" and wait for the zombie to get close enough that the gun will hit them, and it counts as a headshot), so if you had to shoot (rather than just get around the shambling hordes), a headshot was your best bet. I think MH tends to be markedly more generous with ammo (at least mundane ammo, as you can just buy more at a sporting goods store) so just shooting at a zombie's torso until it runs out of HP and collapses is probably an acceptable strategy for a secondary combatant like a witch.