View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
tratclif

Default [Spaceships] As Inspired By...

Many of the ships in the Spaceships .pdfs are inspired by spaceships in fiction or real-world concepts. They are designed RAW and at a single tech level, so the adaptation is sometime loose, but it does allow you to settle the question of Enterprise vs. Star Destroyer. In this thread, I'll try to identify them, but I'm sure I'll need help. If anyone wants to add ships built the same way, feel free to add them.

Spaceships 2

None [?]

Spaceships 3

Ragnarok-Class: I can deduce that someone subscribes to Aerospace Projects Review. This looks like the "Orion Battleship", a serious proposal by General Atomic in the early 1960s. It was planned as a second-strike nuclear weapons system that achieved survivability by lurking in cis-lunar space. The original Project Orion projected a very optimistic specific impulse for a production drive, so it is built at TL8.

Empire-class: a Star Wars Star Destroyer, but with a spinal battery.

Adversary-class: the Super Star Destroyer from The Empire Strikes Back.

Eclipse-class: the Star Trek TNG Romulan Bird-of-Prey [?]

Intrepid-class: the Star Trek movie Enterprise

Vixen-class: the Star Trek movie Klingon Bird-of-Prey [?]

Spaceships 4

Typhoon Space Fighter: a Star Wars Tie Fighter [?]

Starhawk Star Fighter: a Star Wars X-Wing.

Banshee-class: the dropship from Aliens.

Alliance-class: the Babylon 5 Earthforce destroyer [?]

Grappler ships: David Pulver has said that he was inspired by Outlaw Star to put mecha arms into the Spaceships module list.

Hades Battle Mecha: from Gundam [?]

Black Night Space Mecha; from Gundam [?]

Ariel Transformable Fighter: a Macross Valkyrie or Robotech Veritech.

Spaceships 5

Nova-class: NASA used the Nova project name for a variety of followup vehicles to the Saturn. The Chariot stage is a NERVA rocket.

Enceladus-class: the Project Orion's dreamchild, the Advanced Interplanetary ship. The original Project Orion projected a very optimistic specific impulse for a production drive, and Orion drives get more efficient the larger they are, so it is built at TL9.

Odyssey-class: the Discovery One from 2001: A Space Odyssey

Palomar-class: the Star Trek TNG Enterprise-D

Spaceships 6

Kinshasa-class: the Nostromo from Alien, though with spin gravity.

Spaceshps 7

Ether Steamer
Ether Ironclad: Space 1889 ships, but my 1889 books are in storage, so I'm not sure if they represent specific classes.

Operator-class: The TARDIS from Dr Who (though fully functional)

Space Amoeba: from Star Trek TOS

Tree Ship: from Dan Simmons's Hyperion.

[corrected errata]

Last edited by tratclif; 11-05-2010 at 09:31 AM.
tratclif is offline   Reply With Quote