View Single Post
Old 10-23-2022, 08:43 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Empress Marava adapted/converted into Star Trek universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post

Sitting down with the incredibly old FASA Ship Construction Manual, at 200 tons, she's only Class I (handling ships from 0 to 5,000 tons) which severely limits her. ].
For the 190,000 ton Constitution-Class starship 170,000 of those tons were phenomenally heavy warp engines. Probably due to hyperdense shielding (not "true" neutronium though). This even made it into an episode of Enterprise.

Oh, and the Impulse engines were heavy too.

The second issue is that "200 tons" is the _volume_ of the Empress Marava class. G:Traveller for 3e gives loaded _mass_ as c. 550 tons.

So if you take that 550 tons and multiply it by 10 or more for heavy engines you get a ST mass of as much as 6000 tons (to pick a round number).

There's no particular reason to convert from LBB Traveller to FASATrek even if you've got the books handy. My FASA stuff isn't handy. Design from the start in whatever system you're using and match the number of cabins. Then give it typical "small freighter" speed.

For the TOS era they might be Warp4/6 as compared to the 1701's 6/8. I find the TNG numbers much harder to deal with. After you get to Warp 9 every decimal makes such a big difference.