View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #25
Tymathee

Location: I'd rather be alone than be with people who make me feel alone.
Default Re: [DF] Swashbucklers... but with whips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The -2 is for Parrying with the handle, just like the -2 on flails is for Parrying with the handle there. It's not a good Parrying surface, and the whippy/flaily bit hanging around doesn't help matters, but at least it's capable of Parrying without some crazy technique that should probably require a dedicated Ready.

And the full 8 lb shouldn't be counted when figuring out what it can Parry without breaking, but your weapon is unbreakable anyway, so you're good there. It also shouldn't count when determining if a weapon Parrying it risks breakage; I don't recall if there are any rules covering that issue, but then again her super-special-awesome whip breaking lesser weapons is probably perfectly fine.
Do you mind providing a page reference or rules text quote? Or is this simply logic inferred from the rules? I apologize for my lack of clarity on this. Perhaps this is besides the point though, as the whip is not operating on rational realism anyways. Since this new version Fiend Slayer is mostly the Diabolical Whip with the serial numbers filed off, I too perhaps inferred from its rules and perceived intended realism that it straight up parries weapons effortlessly but I think my understanding of the RAW for the stats is in line with what was intended by the book. It is much less the hyperrealistic whip you appear to be envisioning and much more like the incredibly fantastic whip that the Balrog in LOTR wields (sans the flames, but as written they strongly suggest putting the Flaming Weapon enchantment on it). Its nonsense fantasy physics enable it to perform far more better than what a ordinary whip can do... which was my intent from the beginning with how I designed it, but Kromm coincidently had a more eloquent approach that I've opted to use instead. All I had to change was the morality detection bit really, as it coincidently had the enhanced intimidation factor that I was trying to achieve with the built in Combat Schtick Perk I tried to implement before. The coincidence in similarity of design intent is so coincidental that it almost feels like fate led me to this! :)
Tymathee is offline   Reply With Quote