View Single Post
Old 10-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #1755
Curmudgeon

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
DUGAN, TIMOTHY "DUM DUM"
<snip>
An interesting take on Timothy Dugan, but reviewing him and Nick Fury, there are a few points at odds with their Marvel comic book counterparts, Whether they're worth making alterations for is another question entirely.

First, Nick Fury and Dum-Dum Dugan were first seen in Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #1, though a later flashback story has Fury, Dugan and "Happy Sam" Sawyer (Fury's Officer Commanding during the series) first meet and work together before official U.S. involvement in WWII. The flashback story established that Timothy Aloysius "Dum-Dum" Dugan was an Irish-American from Boston, Massachusetts, who was originally employed as a circus strongman.

"Dum-Dum" was officially 2 i/c of Fury's squad with a rank of corporal. The Howlers were granted the designation of commandos as a reward for services by Prime Minister Churchill, but they were, in fact, already the American equivalent being U.S. Army Rangers.

SHIELD was a relatively small organization in the comics, though it may not seem so. As Director of Shield, Fury was referred to as Colonel Fury, which might indicate either a full colonel or a lieutenant-colonel, which in turn suggests that SHIELD was either regiment-sized (perhaps 3000 personnel) or battalion-sized (perhaps 1000 personnel).

Dum-Dum did appear to be Fury's 2 i/c in SHIELD which in turn implies a rank immediately below Fury's, so either lieutenant-colonel or major.

I know that WWII wouldn't work for your setting, but I'd consider moving Fury from being a former USMC member to a former U.S. Army Ranger.

Assuming you don't want to reconsider making Dugan American, you might want to relocate his birthplace to Boston, Lincolnshire, as homage to his original hometown, or alternatively, given his coloration and original ethnicity, making him Northern Irish. [Army of the Republic of Ireland (not the same thing as the provisional IRA) just wouldn't work for MI6].

Incidentally, neither Fury nor Dugan, should probably have a direct connection with MI6 as it is Royal Navy-based, particularly in its rank structure.

Whether you want to add Dugan's canon middle name is another judgment call, but it was canon.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote