View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Default Re: 4th edition [Traveller]

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Hmm. I'm definitely going to have to divide 4e TL11 into early-, mid-, and late-.
I agree that you need more granularity to make distinctions important to the Traveller setting. My preference has been to simply continue to use the original GDW TLs, which already divide everything up for you and give you a set of unique numbers to label the early/mid/late techs.

The TL rules actually don't interact with other game mechanics much, so you can replace all the numbers without changing anything much. (You might, for example, want to scale down the TL penalties for "barbarian" characters if you're using those rules. But that's the only one that comes to mind in GURPS Basic. You might similarly check the trade rules you're using to consider any TL difference factor it calculates.)

Keeping the GDW numbers does assume that you have access to references that have those, though. I have old CT / Megatraveller (etc) stuff to check, but the TravellerRPG wiki has enough detail for most purposes (what TL planet do I need to get my Assault Rocket Launcher; what kind of armor does a GDW TL 14 warship have; does fusion power come before genetic modification, etc).
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote