View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #24
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Magic] How much food can the Blossom spell produce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
I have my doubts about long pork being nutritionally complete. Vitamin C immediately jumps to mind, plus those nutrients needed to run metabolic processes aren't stored 1:1 in the meat. But I only have my gut on this one, I can't find any handy nutrition fact sheet, understandably.

Back to the original question, Blossom indicates the tree gives it's entire harvest, then enters it's post-harvest "fall" phase. Without additional support, this would seem to indicate that it doesn't produce extra food, but does let one manipulate timing, since the tree presumably wouldn't produce again until it catches up with the next cycle.

This would actually be very handy, since it would allow you to avoid spoilage. Having had fruit trees, I can tell you the harvest gets overwhelming when it reaches it's peak and you cannot eat them as fast as they ripen. Being able to make an orchard magically spread out it's harvest would dramatically reduce waste.

Now, Rejuvinate Plant looks like it might let you get the plant back into fruiting shape after casting Blossom on it.
There's an interpretive question about Blossom here—it doesn't say entering the "fall phase" prevents Blossom from working the next day. For all the spell text says AFAICT you could cast it in the dead of winter and it would still work.

There's also a question of what exactly "fruit" is for the purposes of this spell. Does it only cover "culinary fruits", or does it cover nuts? Could it even cover mushrooms—at least if you use a fungus-related variant (something hinted at in Plant Spells)? After all a diet of mushrooms is very traditional for underground-dwellers.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote