View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #27
Rupert

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Mount and Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
True, it does have a fair number of things you can roll it for

Still seems its primary purpose is to add a surcharge for a wannabe mounted combat character, as every single time want to raise a weapon skill need to raise riding first. Gets very irritating.
This seems fair to me, as being a mounted fighter who is effective when mounted (i.e. not just a warrior who used a horse for faster movement) was always a full-time job historically, and mounted troops always needed a lot of training compared to equally effective infantry.

One thing I'm not convinced is reasonable is that Driving and Piloting do not affect firing from a vehicle the same way.

An alternative if it's too hard for your games might be something like: Weapon skills are limited to DX if Riding is at DX+0 or less, to DX+4 if Riding is at DX+1, and unlimited if Riding is at DX+2.

Another option would be to make it a combat perk, and not having it apply a large penalty to all weapon skills when mounted, though this reduces the value of Riding (and presumably Battlesuit/Vaccsuit) skill quite a bit.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote