View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #9
Varyon

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Material or quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
What about an axe head made of silver, or a flanged mace head of silver? I can't see much problem with that. It'd be notably heavier, of course (mass of iron IIRC is about 7, vs 11 for silver), so the mace would count as a lead-weighted mace, which I presume GURPS has rules for, but I'm not sure if there are rules for axes with extra-heavy heads. Ones can probably be devised if needed.
The easy solution there is to just make the head a little smaller. Iron has a density of 7.87, silver a density of 10.49. A silver head of equal weight thus takes up 75% as much volume. If reducing the size of the head equally in all ways (simply scaling it down, rather than making it just thinner), each of width, length, and thickness is still 90% of what it was before. Unless actively comparing it to a weapon of normal construction, you might not even notice the difference.

GURPS doesn't have any rules for weapons with extra-heavy heads, outside of the general rules for extra-heavy weapons. A full-sized silver mace is going to weigh more, but even if the weapon were originally made entirely out of iron switching over to silver (for x1.33 to weight) it's not going to be enough for even a +1 to damage.

Last edited by Varyon; 04-23-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote