View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #14
Jürgen Hubert

Default Re: The importance of an over all goal/climax to a campaign?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarvenHeart View Post
This is what I was wondering if I should inspire to: Having some kind of overall villian or mastermind. But after reading your responses and and knowing my players, I'm hopeful that they will be enjoying the Pokemon effect of developing characters and building on to their badass ship that they won't care if there isn't a end game kind of mentality.
Even if you don't have a specific climax in mind, I consider a good villain to be absolutely essential to most campaigns - or rather, ideally you'll want several memorable villains that the PCs can fight against. Give the PCs (and the players) someone they can really love to hate, and they will always be motivated to continue the adventure.

And if you have worked out the villain in sufficient detail - and I don't mean game stats with that, but character, motivation, resources, and long-term goals - you will be able to rapidly improvise new adventures, no matter what the PCs are doing. Just think to yourself: "What would this guy do in this situation to advance his goals", and new adventure possibilities will come to you easily.