View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
vitruvian

Default Re: Gravity, ST, and Terrans on Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by isf View Post
How does a character's strength change if they are on a world with higher or lower gravity?

Since Mars has a gravity of .38, Earth would have a gravity about 2.5 that of Mars. If I have the ST scale normed for Mars, would I just give Terrans a new ST that has a BL of 2.5 times their BL on Earth? I assume that HP should not change since it is mass based, but shouldn't Terrans be tougher than a Martian of the same mass? If so, how could you model this effect?
I'd just let HP vary with the ST, on the basis that it's not just mass, but how tough and resilient your muscle, bone, and other tissues are as well that determines HP. After all, a ST 20 human doesn't need to weigh in at 1000 lbs; the mass -> HP formula is just a guideline.

If you don't want their Slams and such to work like they weigh a lot more than they do, you can declare any portion of their additional HP you like 'massless', as in not affecting collisions; this would also make falls in Martian gravity less serious for them.

So, if norming ST 10 to be what lets a typical Martian humanoid have a BL of 20 in Martian gravity, that results in a Terran visitor template that looks something like:

ST +6 [60]
Basic Speed +2 [40] (On the basis that Terrans are able to move faster and are used to reacting to things falling much faster)
Super Jump 1 [10] (Together with Basic Speed boost, results in leaps around 3x normal distance)
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote