View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #18
Gearloose

Default Re: Psionic Sorcery (and psionics questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Note also that Using Abilities At Default is already in use in Psionic Powers: at least one of the Power Techniques used it instead of the Enhancements stunt.

You might also want to consider multiple Psionic Empowerments, one per power: Telepathic Empowerment, ESP Empowerment, etc. If so, they'll be more like Chi Investment (from the Chi Sorcery article), each with a Limitation reflecting the, err, limited selection of abilities available.
That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I don't like the way normal psionics works in which you have to buy a talent for each power.

Quote:
I know some people aren't fans of the modular ability thing in Sorcery because it's an expensive ability that doesn't seem to do much, but aside from the low-cost spells it lets sorcerers cast, it's doing a lot of heavy lifting behind the scenes in terms of simplifying the improvisation rules.
I didn't even remembered that Sorcery was a modular ability. To be honest, I haven't thought too much about improvisation, I didn't even consider hardcore improvisation.

I am willing to just eyeball Sorcery Empowerment into an advantage that cuts down the price of abilities to 1/5, limits how powerful they can be and can't to hardcore improvisation. In fact, the only improvisation possible would be perks, so you have to roll to do some minor effect you didn't pay for. As for balance, psi will be more dangerous, I'll use a critical failure table similar to the one for spells and I debating about using the Corruption rules for Horror, which looks like a lot of fun!

I'm not trying to keep things strictly by the rules, I went down that rabbit hole once or twice and it took me so long that I just straight up lost interest in the campaign I was planning. I just don't want to break this too much.
Gearloose is offline   Reply With Quote