View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 AM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Sorcery] Self-buff Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionPeacock View Post
If I outright buy the ability, either Flight or Innate Attack, as part of Sorcery, it goes against the problem that only one spell can be used/active at any given time. So a flying mage would have to fall to throw a fireball, or a conjuration mage would need to make a concentration maneuver between attacks with magical swords and fireballs.
If it's allowed to buy the ability separated from Sorcerous Empowerment, it would be way better but it could have some problem down the road when the mage learns how to buff allies with such ability. A mage with flight learning affliction (flight) would in effect be paying twice for the ability to fly himself (unless there's "others only" limitation on affliction, but I doubt such limation would be worth as much as 10%).
I see where the issue is - you need Simultaneous Spells (GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, p. 8). Basically, you pay for the next most pricy ability to use two spells at once, the third for three, the fourth for four, and so on. So in your example you'd need to pay for the three most pricy spells to use your conjured weapon, fireball, and flight at the same time.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote