View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Sorcery - Crop Failure power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Is there a version of Control that affects plants? perhaps under 'natural phenomenon'?
Actually, I cover this in A Song of Many Worlds (see Pyramid #3/00: World-Hopping, p. 16) and Lord of Your Own Domain (see Pyramid #3/63: Infinite Worlds II, p. 13) with a new Enhancement for Control and Create: Vital Creation/Manipulation. If you can only effect living plant matter, it's a +0% enhancement. If you can affect dead and living plant matter, it's a +100% enhancement. A theoretical alternate build might look something like: Create Crops (Destruction only, +0%; Vital Manipulation, +0%) [10/level] - but that feels too expensive for just killing plants off.

I went with a 24-hour cycle because most of the literature I've read about witches' curses affecting crops tends to kill them within a day or so or just renders the land barren. So basically - it's fast or "permanent" - I suppose if you wanted to simulate the killing of trees or larger plant life you'd need to perform the spell again or have a more damaging version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
attacking the plants just doesn't seem right, and sets the basis for some very nasty effects later on: what happens when this power is applied to say ... people. you can wipe out the bandit camp with a single attack. And better targeting actually costs LESS.
So there are no disease-causing spells in your campaign then? Because, basically - this is exactly what that is. It's a magical plague, but for plants. I see nothing wrong with being able to afflict a highly contagious disease on your foes and then wait it out until they're so sick they can't do anything to stop you. That's classic black magic right there - right up there with causing crops to wither and die or livestock to fail to produce.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote