View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #67
Daigoro

Default Re: [Game] Work Up a Steampunk Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
Uh - do we have to keep this?
IMO, the steampunk setting is interesting enough, we do not have to shoehorn voodoo-hoodoo into it. And evil eldritchian horrors have been done to death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
This aspect has already been kind of established as a side fact: the battles are being fought out of view of the great powers of the world, and the supernatural have a good incentive to hide from the hostile mortals.

But everyone gets their dues: unless they contradict something, answer more than they ought to, or stray blatantly from the premise, its fine. Or that's how I see it.
As a general rule, I think it's important to follow the groundrules. It means posters won't feel resentment that their contributions are being overruled or judged, and it's the nature of the game to work within the limits and build on the contributions that have gone before.

However, I was thinking about this one as I was heading out this evening. I originally thought the "gods are too busy for dealing with departed souls" idea was actually pretty interesting and a good justification for magic users. But the fundamental groundrule was to generate a steampunk setting, and this idea I think just tips the balance from being "a steampunk setting with a touch of supernatural" over into "a magical fight for the universe setting with a steampunk flavour."

Now, as it was established early on that "A multitude of supernatural entities and abilities exist. None of them are world shaking and they exist around the edges of society..." (post #9), I think we should stick with that. Emerald Cat's new stuff possibly seems world-shaking, but with saying that "all religions wield it as an open secret," it pretty-much contradicts the "edges of society" fact that had been laid down.

I was thinking that steampunk-ish supernatural stuff might be atavistic animal powers, as per Jekyll & Hyde or Dr Moreau, or perhaps psionics written up as mesmerism, myself, but I hadn't put much thought into it.

Having said that, I'll see what other posters think.

ETA: Ninja'd by everyones!
It seems the consensus is keep it, but I'd still like to see the "all religions wield magic" part toned-down a touch.

But yeah, it's not like this is a published setting, so if you are actually going to use it yourself, feel free to ignore anything that doesn't personally light your buzz.

Having said that, I made a wiki with a very rough copy and paste, mainly to keep the question-answer stream in one easily navigable page.
GURPS Steampunk- Below the Horizon.

It's badly formatted and probably needs some disclaimers and attributions, but it should be useful for us. Feel free to jump on and continue pushing it into shape.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote