View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 05:09 PM   #12
Varyon

Default Re: Drawing a handful of something

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFix View Post
While I appreciate your post, I explicitly asked for anything that doesn't involve multiple fast-draw. What you describe is from the same box and is a variant of multiple fast-draw.

It's dubious that the only way to draw 5 coins out of your pocket together is to roll Fast-Draw at -10. Or that a handful of sand has to be collected with -2 per 1 grain.
While it's under that header, it only requires a single fast-draw roll, and I thought from your post you were trying to avoid making multiple fast draw rolls, not specifically wanting to avoid those rules. "How do you do X without using the rules explicitly for doing X?" seems like an odd question.

As I noted, however, doing it with very small objects, like bullets, should probably be markedly easier. Looks like Celjabba found a possible option, although sadly it lacks any sort of scaling (and could technically be meant to represent a character fast-drawing one round, then loading it, then fast-drawing another, and so forth, until their weapon is fully loaded, but only requiring a single roll against Fast Draw). Still, from that, I'd say that as long as the GM agrees you could comfortably hold (that is, without it making it hard to manipulate them without dropping some) that many rounds (or coins, or whatever) in your hand, a single Fast-Draw roll to draw them all as a free action seems appropriate. Offhand, I'd be tempted to say doing it as a Ready maneuver is also possible, requiring either a straight DX roll or a roll against an appropriate Fast-Draw skill at +4. This is starting to get into houserule territory, however.