View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [New Release] GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddir View Post
II was hoping for some happy medium, something fun that allows timely character ability changes but without the meta-game of session CP.
Having played a different RPG that did not allow for any form of earned experience through adventuring or successful use of skills, but only for advancement through expensive training, I definitely recommend that you don't go that route. I found it no fun at all, as someone who's learned a lot of his own skills by doing things; the author worked for a company where training was everything, and experience was little valued.

It is workable to require session CP to only be spent on improving abilities that were used in the session, although it tends to require a fair mount of book-keeping as a character gradually accumulates enough points in a skill to raise it a level.

It is also workable to require some amount of training time per session CP spent, although this should be less than 200 hours. I've had reasonable results with requiring characters to spend 50 hours training each time they bought a new skill with session CP.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote