View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: [MA] Finger Lock - what's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
So: why would anyone want to learn Finger Lock?
Realistically, it's a somewhat marginal technique. Some styles teach it, but not a lot. Those that do generally teach a small number of them, and use them for pain compliance more than inflicting injury.

In game, it's got a number of uses, but they're generally special cases - you've grappled a hand instead an an arm, or you don't have a great shot at inflicting enough damage to cripple a limb but might get it off on an extremity.

The last part is especially true if you use cumulative injuries for crippling.

But yes, it's expensive for what you get, but if you get good at it, it's got a number of cases where it's a useful technique. If you're not good at, it's not terribly effective. See also Counterattack, Head Butt, any of the eye attacks, etc. - some moves just don't work terribly well by default.

If you still shake you head at it and wonder why, use the Technical Grappling solution instead. It's a valid alternative and I endorse it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
And why would anyone use it at default either?
Lack of choice, basically. It's worth it if you improve it, or if you've got a solid Arm Lock skill to default off of but happen to have grappled a hand instead of an arm. Generally, it's not great when you have to default it.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote