View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #167
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
If I were to overhaul it I'd probably remove the second spaceship form at the bottom and put the extra settings there and have an additional book that was a printer-friendly version that repeated the data from the worksheet.
Amusingly, while I scoffed at this when I first read it a couple months ago I find myself working on an overhaul that's quite similar to your outline. I've been messing around with a serious overhaul of the GUI of the Design Table which involves moving most, if not all, of the data options checkboxes into a single column.

One of the reasons for this approach is that I've got a very good idea about how I can implement both Reconfigurable Systems and Smaller SM systems into the sheet, but doing what I have in mind will be somewhere between difficult and impossible on the existing Design Table. So an overhaul of the sheet, including the GUI, looks like the only real solution.

Interestingly, I'm probably going to be ditching the 2nd ship, not because I don't like having it there but because it caused a lot of coding problems for me - quite a few formulas became over-complicated by having two ships in one sheet. Eliminating the 2nd ship will make rewriting the Design Table considerably easier (and thus, take many fewer months to do).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote