View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #16
whswhs

Default Re: Campaign Advice needed for Modern Fantasy Setting

I agree with the people who are saying that Path/Book magic is a better choice. Mana-based magic is designed for the dungeon crawling "mage as artillery weapon" paradigm; its spells run to the showy and are also capable of very quick use (you can cast one in a second!). Path/Book magic is designed for secretive mages in a world where magic isn't commonplace; you can perform a ritual in seconds, but you do so at major penalties, and the effects of most rituals are subtle.

That's not to say you couldn't go the other way. Two options: Put the overt spells off limits, giving characters ready access to warning spells, knowledge spells, minor healing spells, minor manipulation spells, and other things that don't let them imitate four-color supers. Alternatively, limit their point—but allow them to take Symbol Drawing, in the version that gives bonuses to spell casting, and allow them to gain bonuses to Symbol Drawing (not directly to spells!) by taking extra time. I've done this in a campaign and it worked pretty well.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote