View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Nymdok

Default Re: [Post-Con Report] Zombies at Dragonflight 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by trechriron View Post
People seemed to have fun at the table. People took their disadvantages in stride and several played them up. I thought it went swimmingly. Later on Sunday I overheard one of the players complaining about my game. "Why would you bring pre-gens that are useless in the scenario you are running?"

Ouch.

So perhaps my idea was not as sound as I thought. People were being good sports about it and having fun HOWEVER, it seems to me that maybe they would have MORE fun if the characters were more "tuned up" for the scenario.
::Shrug:::
Sounds like monday morning GMing to me. Were you up front about what the tone and style of gameplay was going to be? It sounds like thats what you built for, and if its what you advertised, then its just pointless grumping.

A certain savage resourceful utility and pragmatism is certainly well within the modern zombie genre (Walking Dead comes to mind). The PCs were supposed to be frantically struggling and 'ineffective'.

Quote:
I have some ideas on how to touch-up this convention scenario, but I'm curious of your thoughts/ideas?
If you billed it openly as survival horror, then your right where you need to be I think.

Quote:
[p.s. this player was critical of some of the things happening in the game in general. I think he felt my GMing did not fit his ideas of "how things work" and it irked him. I think he believed I was the adversary trying to kill them. Which is not how I run games but he just met me, so wouldn't know that.]
There are as many ways to run GURPS as there are people who run it. I might even extend that statement to ALL rpgs, but I dont have the experience to make that statement. Sounds like it was just a difference of play style.

Quote:
[p.s.s. - the head shot from a sniper rifle is absolutely horrible, devastating and accurate to my understanding of how people describe such activity in the real world. It reinforced my decision to GM a game that feels realistic yet remains playable.]
As long as you stick to the 'playable' side of that spectrum I think you'll be OK. There are always going to be gun bunnies, rules lawyers, and Suspension of Disbelief kill joys and at a con, sometimes the net is gonna drag those in. Dont worry about it.

GURPS can be a simulationists dream. But normally requires cranking up the rules to a level that is complexity prohibitive to newcomers like you might find in a convention game.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote