View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: [HTBAGG:CE] Example evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post

What do you think? Have I got it right? It clearly disagrees with the common wisdom that the fighters in Caravan are too powerful. Do you still think that, if you did?
That seems fair. One situation to consider is that of totally inexperienced players who don't work together vs. an experienced GM who's out to kill the PCs and plays the enemy fighters as a tight unit. That's close to cheating to keep the fight more difficult. I do have to wonder how many people ran into that . . .

Because in the hands of my old gang who routinely played 5-10 scrimmages with Man to Man and later GURPS every Saturday afternoon for years, that would indeed be an easy fight for the PCs. Corwin would spearhead to buy time, and could stop a lot of attacks (in Fourth Edition terms, he'd have Dodge 7, Parry 10, Block 9, and DB 2, and would probably Parry at 12, Dodge with a retreat at 12, Block at 11, and mostly avoid harm, plus only take nicks if hit, given his DR 6 vs. 2d damage). Katrina would be using her bow until she couldn't. The other two would be running interference using All-Out Defense, retreat, and Acrobatic dodges, and if ignored, would pitch knives. The enemies have no ranged attacks, no shields, and mediocre Dodge scores.

In fact, I think we ran that once, and the result was bad guys taking half their HP from impaling ranged attacks to the vitals before melee ever came up.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote