View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Gudiomen

Default Re: Manifest Of the Cult of Stat-Normalization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
There is no established translation between the IQ that psychological tests measure and GURPS IQ. However, for the IQ that psychological tests measure, the usual convention is that mean is 100 and one standard deviation is ±15. On a roll of 3d6, mean is 10.5 and one standard deviation is 1.71 (standard deviation of 1d6) x 1.73 (square root of 3) ~ 3.0. So if GURPS IQ and psychological test IQ measured the same thing (which they do not), p.t. IQ = 5 x GURPS IQ + 47.5. The lowest sapient GURPS IQ would then translate to 77.5, whereas IQ 18 would translate to 137.5. That's a fairly narrow range.

Bill Stoddard
Narrow and wrong, I score around 136, and let me tell you my IQ is like 11, 12 at most. GURPS IQ measures a certain set of abilities, IQ tests measure another set, they are not directly associable. Depending on the test you're evaluating logical, mathematical, verbal, memory power and academic knowledge. GURPS IQ also measures knowledge, know-how, mental flexibility, open-mindedness, intuition, empathy, and a fair lot of other mental and mental-relational skills that aren't covered in most (if any) IQ tests. IQ tests also measure skills, a person who's used to solve logical problems is more likely to get a good score in logical problems of the IQ test. Doesn't mean that knowing wich of the 4 figures is missing is actually usefull in real-life.
IQ test problems are fairly straight-forward, standardized, normalized and built so you can find a solution. Real life is much, much more chaotic. There are tons of irrelevant data that comes with everything, part of GURPS IQ is filtering that to get to the core of the problem. Most of the time you don't have enough information and have to act on probability you instinctly calculate, not cerainty. And sometimes God just throws the dice right into the black hole.
While it is safe to say that someone with a big IQ score IRL might have a higher IQ in GURPS, it's not absolutely certain, as that sort of score is just one of the atributes of GURPS IQ. Formulas will not work, because we don't have, and probably can't have, all the factors of GURPS IQ pinned down.
I say this as both a gamer and a psychologist. Real life doesn't find much use for IQ tests too, americans seem to be fixated on it, most other countries in europe and south america have left it to very specific uses and the population couldn't care less what your IQ is, that includes companies that are looking to hire, universities looking for teachers, etc...

Last edited by Gudiomen; 05-01-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote