View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #25
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: From TL9^ interplanetary to TL10^ interstellar space opera in 200 years or less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Sort of, but it was apparently an error. In Doctor Bashir, I Presume dialog places the Eugenics Wars in the 22nd century, but Moore has said this wasn't deliberate but just rather bad math.

Notably though the Future's End Voyager two-parter takes place in a 1990s without significant obvious differences from our own. Apparently there is a novel series that tries to reconcile this with contemporary but covert Eugenics Wars.

Several Enterprise episodes reference the Eugenics Wars as late 20th century, as well.
They were. There was never much question in the original TOS that the Eugenics Wars were waged in the 1990s, it was specifically stated. It was never made entirely clear (in TOS) if the Eugenics Wars and World War III (both of which are referenced specifically in TOS) are parts of the same thing, or just how they were related, if they were, or just what.

I remember that novel about 'covert' EW, IIRC it had Gary Seven in it. But I only skimmed it, I didn't consider it worth the trouble.

Some continuity conflicts cannot be reconciled, the background of TOS and the background of the rest of the Trek franchise just aren't compatible. The Eugenics Wars weren't covert conflicts or conspiratorial proxy struggles, they were open wars against and between the kingdoms ruled by Khan and his ilk, and they happened in the 1990s, as a basic part of the pre-series history.

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 02-07-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote