View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #44
Otaku

Default Re: [SUPERS] My Unofficial Handbook to the DC Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I just think Quick Gadgeteer takes things too far. Batman's never really shown to work like McGuyver building new gadgets out of the trash in an alley way, or making a new device overnight to face a threat.

He rarely does any inventing during an adventure that I can remember--it's usually more a case of "I've been working on a device for just this occasion" or, "I realized last time I faced Clayface that I would need...".

Instead, I'd just allow him to use his massive financial resources and high skills and intelligence to offset penalties for rushing.
I mean I can't cite specifics so I could easily be mistaken, but I could have sworn at times he does very occasionally pull a McGuyver. "Occasionally" relative to all versions; I am thinking in certain series he was a bit more likely to do this but I haven't seen any of them particularly recent so it could be a mistaken impression.

However this is a "thing" he does in the Arkham series (and maybe a little bit in the Lego games), isn't it? Haven't played them but I regularly watch kwingletsplays on Youtube; he's a big Nightwing fan (his old channel was Knightwing01, but people preferred the Lets Plays so it rarely updates now). He actually does Character Lore (while playing for background imagery and sometimes relevant visuals) that while not perfect, is generally correct...

...okay, getting a bit off focus there, but I wanted to cite my source. So while I haven't played those games, I've watched play through's with a decent amount of detail on all of them, and pretty sure in all games at least once Batman will take an enemies special tech, adopt it then adapt it to his own needs. Definitely not mainstream, but then again this series of games could shape the expectations of fans for a while.

TL;DR: If you know we are wrong, we are wrong but at least I got the impression Batman does this often enough that if you weren't trying to tone him down, it would be one of the dozens of Advantages he has but doesn't often use because he's Batman and he just needs to solve the problem once, not once each and every way he can. XD You might review the rules and the mythos and see if some of what he does is better represented by Gadgeteer with severe limitations versus him soaking penalties and getting lucky.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote