View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #6
thorr-kan

Default Re: Character creation process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You win the right to have Ivar Bloodspear tell stories about his brother Thorr-kan ("my brother Thorr-kan once told me...."). We are from Nordheim.

The AC/DC was "We Who Are About To Rock!" but that was just what came on. Your choices _are_ excellent.

For the mechanical details, I was pondering a human Cleric with bonus Feat but that lead to the Domain and I was being distracted by Grave and Twilight and the chance to make a character who was weird and mysterious. I was also pondering Knowledge as that's certainly useful.

In pretty much the last deleberate thought I asked my Self "What do i really want to do? and my Self answered "Damage. I want to do damage.". This was my Self being honest with me. Most of my characters end up being heavy damage doers almost irrelevant of class..

This was where the chain lightning started with "Damage-> Domain of War ->follower of Wotan -> user of Spear->Piercer feat-> Ivar Bloodspear!".

I had noticed the Piercer feat earlier but had dismissed it for a Cleric out of habit. The rest of it I had barely noticed as it went past. I've had soem names sugest themselves in the past but none as quickly and decisively as "Ivar Bloodspear!".

So Ivar is built on the Standard Array with highest Wisdom but good Str and Con and using IQ and Dex as dump stats. He'll wear chain mail and carry a shield. He won't be a typical "healing" Cleric so much but we've got that Paladin and the Warlock will probably have a Celestial Patron. Planting the seed for that was one of the things distracting me. I was able to meme it as "playing against type" for a Trollkin.
I like this character already.

I'm totally fine with you throwing Thorr-kan under the bus for any reference you want.

I'm a big Midgard fan, a Wolfgang Baur fanboy, and I've been backing Kobold Press's patronage projects since they were Open Design on LiveJournal before Kickstarter exists. I don't claim to be a lore expert, but I love reading the setting.

Trollkin Celestial Patron Warlock. That has possibilities...

I'm in a Discord 5E Al-Qadim adventure right now running a Human Celestial Warlock/Favored Soul Sorcerer. I'm our only spellcaster, in a party of rogues and fighters and a paladin. It's been fun. The inspiration for him came during some research into non-ordained church leader titles and duties. Then it occurred to me, non-divine spellcasters might have some say in such a hierarchy. And D&D has always had arcane spellcasters with some piety. What can I do with this?
thorr-kan is online now   Reply With Quote