View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 07:22 AM   #165
Icelander

Default Map of the Pakistan Vile Vortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
You can look up the latitude and longitude of those sites yourself in an atlas or Wikipedia and do your best to figure out what the latitude is supposed to be. I suspect that it won't be as tidy as in Ivan Sanderson's map, so the only logical conclusion is that the Vile Vortices are governed by cosmic geography that mostly but not quite maps onto ours! The Facade causes us fun-ruiners to see a false shadow-geography where things do not quite work not the true cosmic geography where all is as beautiful and harmonious as a rapier rotating from a close tierce to an extended quarte. Coincidentally, that gives the GM some room to fudge the size and shape of each vortex in the direction of cool.
Happily, the edges of the Vile Vortices wax and wane according to invisible tides unknown to even the most accomplished occultist. Also, it is a matter of esoteric definition whether one classifies a given territory as within a Vile Vortex or merely close to it and therefore suffering unusual paranormal phenomena and increased ley line potency as a side-effect.

Different theorists among Kessler's people define the 'Bermuda Triangle' (variously envisioned as either lozenge or square, with some arguing for much more complex and shifting shapes) as being anywhere from 150,000 square miles to 4,500,000 square miles, with at least one arguing that it has been at all of these sizes during different time periods.

There is no reason to expect more precision when dealing with Vile Vortices they know even less about. Imagine the occultists who subscribe to the Vile Vortex theory as meteorologists trying to map storms; but going only by reports, open-source intelligence and various ancillary factors that correlate with storm fronts, because they don't have access to any measuring devices that can actually chart the weather in real time.

The 'Pakistan' Vile Vortex is assumed to exist somewhere between 20° N and 35° N latitude and 61° E and 76° E longitude. I genuinely haven't established any more detail than that, but I have some vague idea about wanting to include all of the ancient Indus Valley sites within it, but also wanting to avoid having it cover too much of the more densely populated areas of India and Pakistan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Once you have the 'ideal' numbers for the three corners of the Indus Vortex, plug them into an online tool like Stepmap, enclose the area, post the map, and you might get more specific advice on which way it needs to be twisted and what sites are inside.
Oooh, if I could make maps like that, I'd be very happy.

Would you recommend that I sign up for Stepmap?

I have so little artistic talent that back in grade school, I was once sent to the principal's office for 'mocking' the arts and crafts teacher, who didn't believe that the caricatured stick figures I was drawing represented the absolute height of my artistic capabilities. I have not improved since and never learned to use a single digital photo-manipulation or map-making tool.