View Single Post
Old 07-12-2022, 08:47 PM   #6
tbone

Default Re: Difference between Gurps Fantasy and Gurps Dungeon Fantasy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzor View Post
As it says in the title - what is the difference between GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy?
I don't think this will help, as others have answered your question in full, but should you want to read a bit more on "How can I do fantasy in GURPS?":

I have a short-ish article on different ways to do dungeon-themed fantasy in GURPS (though you could of course pick any of those ways, de-emphasize the dungeons, and have broader fantasy). The crib notes version:

1) Just use Basic Set. It'll do fantasy (even with wizardly magic), but a GM will have lots of work to do (creating more monsters, templates, gear, etc.).

2) Use Basic Set + fantasy supplements. Books like Fantasy (a genre guide), Magic (lots more spells), and Banestorm (a detailed setting) do a lot of work for the GM.

3) Use Basic Set + the Dungeon Fantasy series + fantasy supplements (definitely Magic; others optional). This gets you a worked-out game build for OSR-style dungeon-delving.

4) Use Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. This bundles the necessary parts from Basic Set, Magic, the Dungeon Fantasy series, and other bits and bobs into a stand-alone product; none of those or other GURPS books are needed (though they can be tapped for added content).

That's just a handful of "recipes" for a subset of fantasy, name-dropping a handful of products. Countless other books and Pyramid issues have stuff intended for or useful in fantasy games. Enough to choke a SM +5 storm giant.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)

Last edited by tbone; 07-12-2022 at 09:18 PM. Reason: typo fix & clean-up
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote