View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 06:19 AM   #1
hal

Default Magery as an improvable advantage?

Hello Folks,
StevenH made a comment in another thread, so I thought I'd port his quote to here and open up a tangential thread exploring the concept being discussed.

First the Quote, then the definitions, and then finally, the rational one might employ regards to how, as a GM, you would rationalize improving Magery after the start of character creation.

While I'm of an opposing viewpoint that some attributes/advantages are inherent and should not be improved - I'm of an open mind to see how such a thing can legitimately be improved after the "birth" of a character. After all, Combat Reflexes is not something that is an inherent trait that can't be learned by sheer experience, but how does one justify improving what Magery is?

StevenH's comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
I like the idea that you can train up a level in Magery, personally. It also simulates what I read in L.E. Modesitt's Recluce series--those mages can increase their power and range by practicing. His Order and Chaos mages get better skill-wise as well, but I like the mechanism of being able to train both skill and power.
Now for the definitions:

What exactly is Magery?

Per GURPS BASIC SET CHARACTERS (using 4e here), we have the following aspects of Magery on the whole:
  1. It is the ability to shape energies such that you can cast a spell in low or normal mana zones
  2. It is an ill defined ability to innately understand HOW to cast certain types of spells that are unlike others. In GURPS MAGIC terms, spells that require Magery 1 to learn, are different than the more difficult spells that require Magery 3 just to be able to learn. In a way, it is as though you need vision to be able to study vision related disciplines
  3. Magery by level is added to the apparent IQ of the character as far as the actual skill mastery is concerned.
  4. It also grants the possessor of this particular "trait" the ability to either see visually, that an item has been imbued with magical capabilities, or failing that, still permit the possessor of this trait, to identify such magical energies imbued into an item by a simple touch.

This is what Magery as a trait does. One could argue, casting spells is a simple function of having basic knowledge in the "how to" aspects of spell casting. This is why each spell has a knowledge component if you will, where it is treated as a skill, and is based upon the IQ stat like other knowledge based skills.

Complex spells - where they a simple function of knowledge, should be such that if you have a high enough skill in the underlying metaphysics of magic - would permit you to cast ANY spell. Easy simple spells could be understood with the minimal of "body of knowledge" basics, while the more complex spells would require a more extensive "body of knowledge" before you can comprehend it. Sort of like where simply mathematics of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division are required before you can engage in algebra or in pre-calculus mathematics. Then you hit Calculus and the whole thing becomes generally incapable of being grasped by say, a 6 year old starting with simple maths.

So, what precisely is it, that magery is - where you can "Improve" it through use? If it is simple knowledge - that doesn't belong in the "Advantage" aspect, but in the "Skill" aspect. If it is an inherent "raw power" - that doesn't much make sense because Magery isn't used to power spells - fatigue or energy reserves (Magic only) are used to power spells (when not using power stones that is or gaining extra energy via the spell "Lend Energy").

In a way, Magery 1 as opposed to Magery 0, is the ability to "manipulate" as well as comprend the manipulation at a sensory level - those energies required to cast a given spell. Putting this "concept" at an abstract level, that is like a magery 0 mage only being able to sense Red strands of energy, while a Magery 1 individual being able to not only touch White strands of energy, but actively manipulate both Red and White strands of energy. Likewise, each additional level of magery up to level 3 - permits one to be able to comprehend differing levels of energy or aspects of reality in which to not only study a given spell, but actually cast it.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote