View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
Celti

Default Re: Alternate attributes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I had considered trying to split DX into agility and manual dexterity, and spin off more IQ skills to Will (maybe the social skills) and manual dexterity, and try to make every attribute be 10 points. That seems a little more drastic than I'd like to do all at once, though.
I've got a house rules document I've been fiddling with on and off doing exactly this:
  • Strength (ST) is as per the Knowing Your Own Strength article in Pyramid 83.
  • Agility (AG) is gross physical gracefulness, covering things like Dancing, Stealth, &c.
  • Dexterity (DX) Is fine manual dexterity, covering things like Filch, Pickpocket, Sleight of Hand, some uses of Surgery and Lockpicking, &c.
  • Health (HT) is basically unchanged.
  • Charisma (CH) is "social intelligence" and general likeability. Reaction rolls become a standard success roll versus Charisma plus all applicable reaction modifiers, or substitute an appropriate Influence skill.
  • Intelligence (IQ) is "analytical intelligence" and general education, and basically unchanged other than reduction in scope.
  • Perception (PE) is "spatial intelligence" as well as general awareness and some degree of coordination. Obviously covers observational skills, but I'm also tentatively categorising long-range missile weapons under this (e.g., Guns, Bow, Crossbow, &c.).
  • Will (WL) is willpower, self-control, and volition. Most skills that use this won't change, but it also becomes the basic attribute for Stability Points (see Mad as Bones, Pyramid 103).

Given those attributes, all ±10 points/level (and I take the note from KYOS and charge a five-point Unusual Background for each attribute at 15 or ten for each attribute at 16), Basic Speed becomes (AG+PE)/4 (not rounded), while Basic Move becomes (AG+HT)/4 (rounded).
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote