View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 08:04 AM   #42
Pursuivant

Default Re: 4e Cure Disease badly worded/overpowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
Me being firmly in the "magic has rules, it's not just a handwave" camp, I've given a good bit of thought to the spell.
I'm in a similar camp, but I also firmly support Kromm's ruling that "Cure Disease cures whatever ailments the GM allows it to cure."

In a relatively light-hearted DF campaign, Cure Disease should be a one-stop cure for just about any nasty bug one acquires while adventuring. In a grimdark Low Fantasy setting, where life is nasty, brutish, and typically ends with a wheezing death rattle, it should be useless against really vicious plagues.

As written, the two big play balance features of the spell are its one-shot nature and its long casting time.

The easiest way to play balance it by campaign is to borrow the rules from the Healing advantage (which inexplicably is never referenced for any of the Healing College spells), basing casting cost and skill penalty on the severity of the disease to be cured.

If the GM wants curing chronic ailments like diabetes or AIDS to be the stuff of miracles, just assign a -15 skill penalty and a 30 FP energy cost.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote