View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #62
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Vile Vortices and Supernatural Threats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Vortexes 20 and 41 overlap French speaking parts of Africa. France will still intervene if asked in areas of Africa that were under it's control. Given that, the expendability of the FFL and feedback from Kessler's involvement with the Legion I'd expect they have a at least a unofficial supernatural unit.
Oh, indeed so. I expect to feature a Private Military Contractor / Private Security Contractor staffed with Frenchmen and former Legionnaires, who have an allegiance with Kessler of long standing. I'll have to name them something in French that recalls St. Michael the Archangel, without actually usurping the name of the real order of chivalry.

I was wondering whether these men were the outlaw protectors of an unknowing France or if they had some degree of official tolerance, perhaps even support. And if there were significant numbers of occult-savvy French intelligence around in the Caribbean, or not.

I already know that in my campaign, the modern French Foreign Legion has been engaged with otherwordly forces more often than the official military forces of any other Western nation. What I haven't made up my mind on is whether the French government believes those clashes to be whatever plausible explanation their minds will accept, like terrorism, secterarian violence, civil wars and the like, with only some of the military commanders (and the Poor Bloody Infantry) aware of the awful truth, or whether key figures of the government of France are perhaps more in the know than the governments of most other nations.

Even if I do decide that, it doesn't mean that recent French Presidents, Prime Ministers or other elected officials need know anything. Even in a non-magical world without cinematic conspiracies, elected officials usually have theoretical power, but lack the intimate knowledge of the bureaucracy of which they are in charge to do much, without the consent of the entrenched bureaucrats. Nor do the elected officials truly have much choice other than to accept what they are told by the professional bureaucrats, as the level of complexity within even a fairly modest government agency makes it impossible for them to check everything themselves.