View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Advantage that extends elixir and potion durations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Altered Time Rate and Decreased Time Rate set the price for "things are time-warped by a factor of ×N" at an effective (N - 1) × 100 points: ×2 is 100 points, ×3 is 200 points, ×4 is 300 points, and so on. The Accessibility limitation "Only for beneficial elixirs, drugs, etc." is extremely huge; I'd set it at the maximum -80%, as it nerfs just about all the really cool effects of ATR. So that would make cost 20 points per level: ×2 duration for 20 points, ×3 duration for 40 points, ×4 duration for 60 points, and so on. I'd hesitate to go for a faster progression similar to that of Extended Duration, as that would rapidly become a nearly permanent duration in many cases.
I'm not sure I like using ATR as it's so expensive (is it really worth 20 points to double a potion's duration over just buying a second potion?).

However the only other way I can think of doing this is by bending Signature Gear/Gizmos into a pretzel (highest cost potion as Sig Gear, times 5 for "always has at least one", times 10 for "every type of potion")... and it ends up being way more expensive... or going Modular and that's waaaaay to fiddly... so... c'est la vie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Hmm, I'd treat those as two different traits, as I could see the disadvantageous one making sense all on its own as an almost mundane flaw, whereas the advantage is pretty much a magical power.
Or just treat it as a Feature of the Advantage (ATR, Time Effecting +0%). I agree, overall the benes outweigh the negs.

Quote:
The negative version shouldn't be worth as many points, because someone who has both traits will almost always enjoy a net benefit (mostly because adventurers can engineer things so that they are using beneficial stuff far more often than they are exposed to detrimental stuff). I think looking at Affliction and noting that the advantage-to-disadvantage cost ratio is 10:1 would be fairest: ×2 duration for -2 points, ×3 duration for -4 points, ×4 duration for -6 points, and so on.
But what if they only had the Flaw, not the Advantage (call it a Curse or some such)?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote