View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
DwarvenHeart

Default Re: Have campaign idea. Feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar View Post
I'm currently running a 4th Edition GURPS Fantasy Meets Pirates campaign. Think "Pirates of the Caribbean" Meets "Lord of the Rings" Low magic (for the most part. ...

...As they improve in abilities, they have the option to break off or climb the ranks within the ship towards officer slots. The captain is one of those 55-year old tough guys and I've started filling out the list of NPC's that are both frequent members of the party (The cabin boy, Toby), or occasional ranking officers aboard.

Missions are combination of Urban missions in Freeport, coupled with the type of military objectives (disable this fort, move this noble inland to his father's estate, secure noble's estate, Capture and ransack Spanish-inspired city). The enemy employ priests who also lob spells at PC's and of course we've already encountered a few waves of enemy troops in buff coats with heavy muskets and morion-style helmets.

There are a lot of options if you have 'PC's aboard ship' + Urban adventures.

-P
Very interesting. You've reminded me that a story can be as narrow or broad in focus as it must be. So what if the PC's are a few skilled hands on a ship full of more skilled people. There are tasks and goals for them to accomplish. D&D has tempered my thinking of the PC's who are the small rag-tag team of powerful champions and the only resorce to the current threat. Man I hate gaming in a box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Since I was running a fairly cinematic campaign, I ignored the Mass Combat rules. Instead, I assumed that how the PCs did against the leaders on the other side was what was critical, in the style of, say, Homeric single combat.

If you wanted to have more detail on the background combat, you could play out a small number of NPC vs. NPC fights, and reduce the two forces in proportion to the outcomes.

Bill Stoddard
Has anyone came up with a simple mechanic to where a couple of die rolls and the combat of 5 rounds of NPC's can be determined? Perhaps make a mock NPC to represent the 2 armies. HP=# of men, Dmg=average dmg of army, etc. I really have to read the mass combat rules. I bought them after all.
DwarvenHeart is offline   Reply With Quote