View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 09:30 PM   #17
Shostak

Default Re: Differentiating Weapon Types

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't think so -- any of the three suggestions you've made for Ax/Mace is, I think, better than that.
GURPS has some very good and realistic distinctions, such as swords not becoming unready after use; and cutting, impaling, and crushing damage types. I don’t see those being able to be translated into TFT, though, because they wouldn’t qualify as simple. I think the best option for swords is the ability to make a defensive attack. It’s not as good as the ability conferred with Weapon Expertise, but which could come in very handy. You are right about the attack-on-ready-turn ability stepping on Quick Draw. In fact, it is probably better than Quick Draw, now that I think about it. Quick Draw stinks; I’d not want to use it with less than 14 DX.

Quote:
Which brings me to another problem for the two 8+ damage requirements. At ST 11, there are to Ax/Mace options, a 1d+2 ax and a 2d-1 mace. The former has a one in 6 chance of getting that bonus each hit, the latter a 10 in 36 chance, if I'm not mistaken. Thus, these two Ax/Mace bonuses would make an Ax an even worse choice than it is now (with it's 1/2 point average damage disadvantage).
That’s why I’m leaning toward the armor-bypassing option; it works for all of the weapons in that class.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote